Saturday, September 11, 2010

Playing In The Wind

Tennis has been great at this year's Open but the one interesting sideline is to see that the pros seem to have such a difficult time playing in the wind...

I grew up in Corpus Christi (where the wind always blows at least 25 mph) and in the Rio Grande Valley (where it blows at least 40 mph in the spring) so I know that you actually CAN play in the wind. It was either play in the wind or not play at all since there were no indoor courts.

I thought it interesting the other night when one of the commentators said, "I can't believe they are having to play in these impossible conditions. The winds are gusting up to 25 mph."

Sounds like a lot of whining about conditions that people in Oklahoma and Texas (especially West and South Texas) play in all of the time.

Maybe they should move the Open to indoor courts so they won't have this problem...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

True RM! Nothing like Texas Tennis - how about 130 degrees and WIND!!! Heat & wind rule my fanny! How about Heat Wind and No Lunch!!!

Anonymous said...

One of the most irritating elements of the TV coverage this weekend was hearing Martina Navratilova constantly harping about the wind. Give it a break Martina!! And why must the TV networks insist on dragging out Chris Evert to clutter up the airwaves with her, "Wasn't it great when I was playing" mantra? Go away Chrissseeee!

Anonymous said...

BTW....how much did Zvevvy get for her choke job Saturday night? I heard Clijsters got $1.7 million for playing best of three, and, as I understand it the men have to play best of five for the same pay. Doesn't sound like equality to me.