Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration Day 2009


I must admit that I was speechless at the events of Inauguration Day 2009--and it took me a day to recover my voice and thoughts...
My nephew in NYC texted me in the middle of the proceedings to tell me he had "tears in his eyes and that he is finally proud to be an American." Folks, I had tears in my eyes but not for the same reason and I am tired of people saying like Michele Obama that she is finally proud to be an American. I have been proud to be an American all my life--and especially for the past eight years under President Bush. I'm proud he withstood the vitriolic attacks by the Democrats for eight years and he successfully kept our country safe! I have doubts that Hussein Obama will do the same.
The culmination of the day came when Rev. Lowery said his prayer and stated that he yearned for the day when "white will embrace what is right." Excuse me, but I grow extremely weary of the attacks on white people in this country and every person needs to embrace what is right and not just the white people. Hussein Obama is half white--I just wonder where his pride went over being a white American?
I am over yesterday and have my voice back--and it sure feels good!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the T/E's are just explaining, the key word today is still "Diversity". "They" is "owed" and now is the payback time. And technically, Obama is only 1/8 black. From my perspective, not everybody in America wants to actually be "Americans". The U.S. is an all inclusive melting pot, except the norm today is for all the special interest groups to divide into little appetizer cups, but still demand to sit at the big table.

Anonymous said...

I've always been proud to be an American. I served in the military from Oct 1984 to June 1992. (That means I VOLUNTEERED.) I was proud to serve. So for the ones who are "finally" proud, I doubt that you are truly proud, it's just that now seems to be a good time to get on the gravy train. Or you think now you will finally get the opportunity to destroy that which you truly despise.

The answer to the big question of the day is, "NO, we haven't finally seen Dr. Martin Luther King Jr's dream come true." The fact that we have to ask the question bears witness to this reality. The fact that so many keep point out the race of the new President bears witness to this reality. The fact that a statistically significant number of voters of all races said that race was a key factor in their decision as to who to vote for or against bears witness to this reality. The fact that so many who perpetually blasted G. W. Bush now say that any criticism of Obama in any way is inappropriate because he is the first black president bears witness to this reality.

Let the black not stay back. Let the brown stick around. Let the yellow be mellow. Let the red man get ahead man. But you can't conclude that white is never right and should therefore always be out of sight. AND REGARDLESS OF COLOR DON'T MAKE THE WOMB A TOMB.

If you really think MLK's dream has been realized, you don't understand MLK or the current reality.