Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanksgiving Memories


We all have extra special reasons for being thankful during this holiday season--some serious and some not so serious. Here are a few of my "not so serious" Thanksgiving thoughts...
* Thankful that I got to see Myron Krueger's son thinking about going to the UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS. I can't wait to see Myron in burnt orange!
* Thankful that I got to see Bernie West tell off John McEnroe in his match in Dallas last year. It was worth it to see Bernie back him down.
* Thankful that I got to see Lynn Welch's hair actually move in the wind one time. This was a rare on court experience that I will never forget.
* Thankful that I got to hear the USTA national office threaten to sue me if I didn't change the name of my blog. Its great to know they are thinking of me.
* Thankful that I got to work with Brookie Green before she retired. She truly is the queen of tennis officiating in Texas!
* Thankful that I got to have one of our professional female officials tell me about her date that night with one of the women players on the circuit. At least it made me realize that I am truly becoming diverse.
* Thankful that I was there in Waco when Sara Lammerts adopted her fourth dog and took it home. Bob just loves having a kennel at his house.
* Thankful that I got to see Ginny James brand new knees. Its great to see her up and walking among us again.
* Thankful that we made it through an entire ITA dual match without Herb Taylor making up yet another new rule.
* Thankful that I got to see Glen Whitaker in his brand new physique. He does look awesome!
* Thankful that I get to work with the Chair Academy folks every year. That is truly the highlight of my tennis year.
There are a lot more reasons to be thankful but I just wanted to share a few of them with you...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why did you have to mention that women Lynn Welch? Now my Thanksgiving is truly tainted.

Anonymous said...

Thankful that I didn't work any professional events this year and spared myself exposure to the arrogance displayed by many of the out of town "professional" official gypsies. Then again, it is kinda fun to watch a bunch of them screw up, as so often happens.

Thankful that I have had the opportunity to watch the bickering and cat fights on the part of ITA officials surrounding not the matches assigned to them, not the players assigned to them, rather the unpacking and organization of the balls to be used in a tournament. Seems that prima donna #1 can't stand the way primo donno #2 lines up the cans of balls to be used in the tournament.

Thankful that I get to work with the officials in DFW who, truly, have their acts together. I'm not syaing that all in DFW do, I'm just thankful I get to work with the ones who do.

Thankful that this blog exists. It is a whole lotta fun!