Monday, November 10, 2008

Resolution of the Infamous Grievance

Since I have received so many emails and phone messages asking me to share about the grievance and its resolution, I decided to go ahead and print that information for your reading. I received a copy of the Texas Section Grievance Committee's resolution today and now consider it be done and over with!!!

Here is the gist of the grievance:

1. That I would not send Kevin Labor an availability to work collegiate matches that I am responsible for scheduling.
2. That some of the posts on my blog were about him personally.

I won't go into detail answering these baseless accusations but suffice it to say that they are a bunch of bunk... (There are always legitimate reasons when I don't send someone an availability but I don't want to be accused to publicly criticizing someone so I won't share those facts with you.) The grievance also contains a bunch of complaints about Bruce Sampley and his involvement and inaction as far as the grievance is concerned. I will address that at the end of this post...

Here is the ruling of the Grievance Committee in regard to the availability:

"Due to the fact that the USTA has no jurisdiction over the process that the college coaches use to hire officials, we, as a USTA committee, have no jurisdiction to hear this grievance. The coaches involved have contracted with Dr. McDonald to hire the officials needed and he has the right to hire whomever he chooses to hire. We feel your best course of action is to take this matter up with the individual coaches as they would have the right to instruct Dr. McDonald to hire a particular official."

(Suffice it to say that the coaches I work with are quite pleased the officials that I do and don't hire.)

Here is the ruling concerning the blog posting:

"Based on decisions made by legal counsel at both the USTA Texas Section level and the USTA national level that Dr. McDonald's allegory does not violate the 'Code of Conduct" or any slander law, this matter cannot be heard by this grievance committee or any other committee of the USTA."

Great work Grievance Committee! I am glad this is finally over and done with...

Kevin also filed a complaint stating that Sara Lammerts is a friend of mine and should be excluded from the Grievance Committee. In the interest of appearances, Sara recused herself from deliberations on this issue. I am personal friends with every person on the committee so I find this complaint rather interesting.

The only thing I discovered that was new about the grievance (when I actually got to see it) was why Bruce Sampley would not show it to me. Seems that Bruce was working on conjunction with Kevin through the entire process and told Kevin that what "Randy is doing to you is not right." Too bad he couldn't have picked up a phone and called me personally to tell me that instead of criticizing me to another official.

Special note: the grievance also goes into great detail about Kevin's frustration with Bruce Sampley for his inadequate handling of this entire issue.

To that, I would say a hearty AMEN!!!

(This will be my last post on this subject. I am tired of hearing about it, reading about it, and worrying about it. Its time to move on...)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have worked with Kevin at the US Open and on some collegiate matches and I am not surprised that you would not send him an availability.

Anonymous said...

Having worked the US Open, Kevin believes it is beneath him to have to rove those pity college matches. Someone of his astute status and wisdom should only be called on to CHAIR matches. Where in the hell have we heard this before???

Anonymous said...

Why in the hell do we have to keep hearing about Sara Lammerts. Enough already - please do us all a favor and NOT mention her name ever again.

Anonymous said...

Damn straight there old friend of eeyore!

MY BLOOD STARTS TO BOIL every time someone mentions that name... and then I can't sleep (like now).