Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Observations of ITA Officiating

In contrast to the observations of the professional officiating, I would like to share these observations of ITA officiating in Texas. (I am not commenting on ITA officiating at the national level.)

** There is a sense of "family" that is prevalent among the ITA officials in Texas.

** There is a high level of instruction offered to new officials. Every collegiate coordinator in Texas offers personalized instruction as well as the Chair Academy in Plano and the Chair Training at Baylor University.

** There is an excellent working relationship between the ITA coaches and the officials who work their matches.

** All coordinators in Texas are open to integrating in new officials on a regular basis.

** ITA officiating in Texas is very diverse and is open to all races, sexes, and sexual orientations. There is some hesitancy in the area of transgendered officials but that is a discussion for another post.

** ITA officials in Texas tend to be very supportive and protective of each other. The sense of "family" runs deep in Texas.

** ITA chair officials have undergone intensive training before achieving that status.

** ITA officials in Texas tend to honor their commitments to work. There is very little cancelling of events to work another event. If an official is guilty of this offense they are usually not working ITA events.

** ITA officials tend to be very adept at handling intense situations and are usually able to apply the rules fairly and honorably. Coordinators in Texas get high marks from the ITA coaches concerning their officials.

These are just a few of my observations. We would be open to hearing your observations...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very pleased to be an ITA Official in Texas and have very high marks for my ITA Coordinators.
Thanks !

Anonymous said...

Randy, I agree with you completely. I enjoy working with other umpires I encounter at the various colleges and universities. In most cases it is a "team" feeling. I know that when I ask a teammate for feedback, they will be honest and supportive. And I try to respond in kind when I'm asked to give someone feedback.

The majority of the players are fun to be around . . oh, to be that age again and have those skills!

Most of the coaches are easy to work with and after the match will express their appreciation for the work we do.

Granted, there is no perfect work situation in our society today and ITA matches have their rough spots. But I do this because it keeps me close to the game, I have made some good friends through the years, and the extra money is put to good use!

I Love My Job!

AR Hacked Off said...

I think the first 2 comments sum it up well. I have enjoyed working ITA events and 2 weeks ago I was able to go and shadow some officials at the ITA Regional in Fayetteville and all were very helpful and gave their rest time to talking with me and showing me effective chairing and response using constructive critic of on the court officials as well as how to continue improving.

Now I am obviously very naive, but I would at least hope higher ups would follow their own code, but sounds like that is not happening.

Anonymous said...

I agree with your assessment for the most part. However, there are certain officials that will get their panties in a bind if they do not get the No. 1 singles match. Can you guess HER name? If in doubt, she lives in College Station. Enough said...

RM said...

The previous comment must have come from one of the professional wannabees that follows them around doing lines for $70/day and kissing to everyone and everything in sight.

Kind of sad to be jealous of what we have in Texas.

Anonymous said...

Or, the previous comment referred to in Randy's posting may have come from someone, somewhere down around College Station