Sunday, October 12, 2008

Introspection: OFFICIALS SCHOOLS

Overall, the comments about the officials schools were excellent--but there are probably some areas for improvement as always...

The instructors in Texas are by far the best in the nation. The Texas scores have always been the best in the country so that's always a good indicator! I have worked personally with all of them for the past 10 years so I can attest to their character, quality, and effectiveness.

Personal note: let me say that without the SCHOOL COORDINATORS in each area, the schools never could have been so successful. These fine people have worked long and hard and way beyond the call of duty. Be sure to congratulate them when you get a chance. (Most of them are listed in the previous post.)



Here are some of the valid suggestions/comments we received:

1. Put more material online. Having the tests online before the schools is a good first step.
2. Do not require annual attendance for the more experienced officials. There is some debate as the level of experience to require before exemption.
3. Having most of the schools in one day is a great improvement.
4. The national schools are way too long and can tend to be boring and verbose.
5. Having schools in every geographical area is great.

Overall, I would say that the instructors' schools are one of our greatest assets in Texas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You boys & girlies down in Texas need to hold an Officials School the weekend of April 25th in Austin. That way, you can all come to my birthday party. It is quite a celebration and costumes are highly encouraged. For a peak from previous years' parties, some of my photos can be found at the following website: http://eeyores.sexton.com/photos.shtml

As my bestest friend would always say, TTFN.

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for your next post in your series on "Self Introspection." Lets see, you covered, Training, and now Officials School. The next topic is Sectional Chairman. That should generate a plethora of comments. Please don't make us wait too long. I'm already salivating.....

I don't want to sound negative, but from where I sit, there really isn't anything positive to say. I dare you to come up with one concrete piece of evidence pointing to something worthwhile that has come from your glorious Sectional Chairman down there in Texas.