Sunday, October 31, 2010

Tidbits Learned At The 4A Regional Tournament



Randy in action on the left, the shower soap in the middle, and Myron
in action on the right at the 4A regional tournament.

This past weekend I had the privilege of refereeing the 4A regional tennis tournament in Wichita Falls along with fellow officials Ron Ferguson (Oklahoma), Dean Richardville (Oklahoma), and the infamous Myron Krueger (Aledo, Texas). Here are some of the treasures that I learned over the weekend:

1. Sometimes when you stay at the Hawthorn Suites in WF they don't furnish soap and you may be forced to take a shower with dishwashing detergent. Never had this experience before but it was "indescribable" to say the least and I'm glad they put at least some type of soap in the room.

2. The Oklahoma officials call time at one minute on the changeover and then again with ten seconds to go. I guess that's an Oklahoma thing. I just wait until time has expired and then give a time violation warning and offend everyone.

3. Dean Richardville's wife makes the absolute best cookies in the entire universe.

4. Oklahoma officials like to refer to themselves as "seasoned officials" and even use the term "SO" when referring to themselves. I guess I'll have to meditate on this one and come up with what SO stands for other than seasoned official.

5. One of the "seasoned officials" from Oklahoma did not now that you don't give two time violations in a row. I'm sure Coach Roddick will love knowing this...

Such goes the learning experience of spending the weekend in Wichita Falls...

No comments: