Wednesday, October 06, 2010

The Elephant In The Room

As we blog and discuss different topics sometimes we encounter one of those subjects that everyone knows and talks about but always in a low and subdued tone. In modern vernacular it is called the "elephant in the room".

In the tennis world that elephant is CANCELLATION OF MATCHES...
It seems that the issue of CANCELLING MATCHES after being scheduled has become a real problem this year. It occurs predominantly when someone gets a Big 12 match and then they rush to cancel everything from a previously scheduled match to their wedding to the birth of their first child. It has nothing to do with Cheryl Jones and her scheduling--but has a lot to do with the integrity of some of our officials.

Here are some guidelines that might help:

1. You should always honor your first commitment unless you have a previous arrangement with the coordinator. I have no problem with someone saying that I'm not committing to you until I hear from the Big 12--but remember, what you might have wanted might not be there when you come back. Its like accepting a date with an ugly boy while you are waiting for the king to ask you out--and then when the king calls you have to find a way to dump your original date.

2. You can always ask to be released from your first commitment--but its not always guaranteed that that will happen. I have people all the time ask to be released for a variety of reasons and normally I do so if I can find a replacement. If I can't find a replacement, then I expect them to honor their commitment.

3. It doesn't hurt to have a "working agreement" with your coordinator. For instance, I may sign up for Baylor or UT matches with the understanding that when I get the SMU schedules I may need to stay in Dallas. The coordinators know up front so there is no misunderstanding.

4. Do not for any reason overbook on your availabilities. This is a practice that will always end up getting you in trouble.

5. Don't whine and howl when you aren't released from an assignment. Remember you are the one who made the commitment in the first place.

Here are some reasons that are unacceptable when asking for a cancellation:

1. I have to go do a Big 12 match. Trust me, this will get you cancelled on your other matches if you aren't careful.

2. I have to go call lines in a pro tournament somewhere. This will pretty well end your ITA career before it gets started and besides, those are places that can be hazardous to your health.

3. My grandmother died. Be sure its no more than two grandmothers and hopefully not at the same time.

4. I won a cruise and I have to take it. This will work only one time but hopefully its a good cruise.

5. I overbooked or double-booked. Please never use this one!

6. The water in Waco makes me nauseous. While this may be true, its not a valid excuse for requesting a cancellation.

7. I don't like the coach on that match. You should have thought of that before you returned your availability and had an assignment.

8. Nebraska in the winter is too cold for me. Again, you should check the weather channel.

9. I get a rash in College Station. Get some ointment that works or don't sign up.

10. _____ was mean to me last year. If you don't like your treatment, don't go back.

11. I only do chairs. You should think about that before saying you are available.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One problem is AVAILABILITY does not mean the same thing as COMMITTED. If you are unclear on the difference betweeen being available vs committed, consider your last ham and egg breakfast. The chicken was AVAILABLE. The pig... COMMITTED!

Anonymous said...

We could always let Chuck Scott do the assigning for everyone and then he would get to do some Big 12 matches.

AR Hacked Off said...

One issue I have run into is that I committed to working College Tournament but also to Referee a major Southern Tournament, that were supposed to be different weekends and then one got rescheduled. So far dropping the tournament for the ITA Tournament since commitment and date are firm. A little frustrating, but life I guess.