Monday, September 26, 2016

Bees, Boobs, & Banter--What More Could You Ask For?

After another weekend of officiating in the state of Texas we wanted to share some of the unique experiences and then ask you, "how would you rule?" in these situations.


Scenario:  The Stinging Bee

We got a message from a fellow referee asking this question:  "If a player gets stung by a bee during a point, do they get a let?"

Rule:  (Friend at Court page 13.  26 Hindrance)  "However, the point shall be replayed if a player is hindered in playing the point by either an unintentional act of the opponent(s), or something outside the player's own control (not including a permanent fixture.)"

Ruling:  This was my response since I wasn't totally sure...

a.  If you like the player and he is behaving, give him a let.
b.  If you don't like the player and he is misbehaving, deny the let.

Not sure it was the correct ruling but at least it was fun sharing my opinion!  How would you have ruled?

Scenario:  Balls in the Bosom

I was actually the referee for this weird scenario this past weekend.  Team A came to me after the match and asked what they should have done in this situation.  Team B would place the extra ball in their bosoms during the point.  They would then give Team A the ball and it would be wet with sweat.  Team A asked Team B not to do but they refused.  What should they have done?

Rule:  Friend at Court page 5.  USTA Comment 3:1:  May a player cause a ball to become wet by using the ball to wipe perspiration from the player's body?  No.  A player may not take any action that materially changes the condition of the ball; therefore, a player may not use a ball to wipe off perspiration.  

Never had this happen before nor ever heard of it!  What would you have told them???


Scenario:  The two happy opponents.

This occurred this past weekend in an adult tournament where I was the referee.  Two ladies were playing each other and having a great time laughing, talking, and hugging during their match.  They would even go to the net and hug each other after a good point!  I was standing a few courts away and was observing them--and enjoying watching the love fest...  Just out of curiosity, I thought I would time their changeover since they seemed to be having such a good time.



From start to finish, their changeover after an odd number of games took SEVEN MINUTES!  Don't hyperventilate and accuse me of ignoring the rules about a minute and half on changeovers--I was just doing a social experiment...  I did go out and tell the ladies about their time limit and they promised to obey the rules but somehow I doubt that it happened!

Just one of the special joys of officiating and it was good to see players enjoying their match.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You own a stop watch ad you had it with you????

RM said...

I do indeed own one (in fact, I own four of them) but they were all in my bag in the trunk of my car... I timed them on my trusty watch on my arm that has a second hand. Noone knew the difference.

Anonymous said...

I have actually had experience with the "Boob" scenario. There was a gal in who played in my tennis league a few years ago that "stored" the 2nd/3rd ball in her cleavage when she served. Not really that much different than in the ball "panties". All "parts" are sweaty during a match. We used to call her "triple tits"or "Cyclops tit" (not to her face). Kinda funny, really.
Some time ago I read about another player question/scenario about "sweaty balls". A player was asking/complaining about an opponent that was sweating so profusely that when he would pull the ball out of his pocket and serve it.....water flew off of the ball when he hit it. The official response/ruling was that the "sweaty-player" was NOT intentionally doing anything to materially change the condition of the ball. So, another way to interpret that rule. I'm always amazed by the amount of "grey areas" there are in tennis rules.

AgCindy said...

Oops, well, since I rarely comment, I thought I had done something wrong and rewrote my comment under anonymous. Didn't mean to "double post". Sorry! You can delete the first one if you wish, Randy.
While I'm on a role.....another story I thought of when reading your tale of the good-natured opponents.
When my son was about 8 & just beginning to learn/play tennis, he was in some kind of beginner's tournament at our club in Georgetown. It may have been a ZAT, I don't remember. Anyway, the score was very even throughout the course of the match. The reason it was neck-to-neck? Neither of the boys could get a serve in the servers box to save their lives. We listened from a distance while they said things to each other like, "Ohhh, that was close"!....."Ohhhh, good try"!......"Yeah! You got one in"! It was the most hilarious and adorable thing to listen and watch these two encouraging each other with seemingly not a competitive bone in their little bodies. My son went on to be (and still is) a decent player that reached Super Champs before a knee injury stopped his junior tennis. Sometimes, tennis is just for fun and good sport!

RM said...

Remember that we are not concerned with the intentions of the heart but with the deeds of the flesh. Tell a player that and watch the confused look spread across their face...