Thursday, November 18, 2010

Life's Most Embarrassing Moments

It happens to all guys at one time or another.

And he thought noone was looking!
The ultimate "most embarrassing moment"

We all know that real men don't cry--especially after losing a point!

Imagine what his Mother thinks...

Even though he wasn't embarrassed, he should have been...

Here's hoping that noone recognizes that posterior.

As we all make this journey of life (and especially the tennis officiating life), we encounter those special moments that are embarrassing at best.

It might be fun and interesting to hear your favorite "most embarrassing moment" stories so feel free to send them in. I'm sure most of you will post anonymously...

Here are a couple of mine:

1. I walked up on a girls singles match at a Super Champs tournament and immediately called a footfault when the girl was 1.5 feet into the court on her serve. She looked at me and said, "I was just taking my practice serves."

In my moment of embarrassment, I said, "I was just practicing my footfault calls."

Everyone then went on their merry way...

2. Watching a friend of mine squat down to talk to an evaluator following his match I noticed that his "maleness" was hanging out of his shorts. What to do, what to do...

I just turned red on his behalf and then ran and hid hoping the evaluator would never notice.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stood on a court in Dallas (Keist) and officiated a VERY GOOD singles match... only to find out that it was not a part of the tournament. Both players appreciated a very well officiated match.

RM said...

Did they provide lunch for you?

K. s. Holmes said...

OK Randy, you are aware of this one. Relatively early in my officiating experience, I was CHAIRING a doubles match at Baylor. Of course it was an 8 game pro set format. At 6-2, I called from the chair, "Game, set, match." All four players, and I'm sure at least the entire population of Waco leered at me in disdain. I apologized for the error and told the players to continue. Fortunately, the match ended as quickly as possible with an 8-2 score.

Anonymous said...

Hello, Reader request alert:::

Could you revisit the USTA criminal investigation requirement for 2011 certification__re problems, issues, concerns, experiences, other sports officials similar requirement and extent of background check????

For example little league requires it but limits it to sexual and pedophile issues.

This is an important issue and your formum would give a chance for dialogue, critiques and suggestions for officials.

Anonymous said...

Covering 8 eight courts in Ft Worth - on a very hot and windy summer day - I was one court away from a competitively heated ladies 3.5 league match - when I heard an audible obscenity. I quickly got to the court and coded the team accordingly - after going through the routine steps I was informed by their opponents that the offender simply said "You Betcha" when a ball hit squarely on a down the line shot. I explained that I missed the "a" on the "Betcha" part!

You know - if we could talk about Embarrassing Moments for other officials - most of them would come in the 45-60 minutes prior to taking our court assignments... there are some real cry-baby losers out there that talk about and complain behind the backs of others - these guys and ESPECIALLY gals need to know THEY are the real embarrassment.

I have many other "Life’s Most Embarrassing Moments" but this is not a dating, family reunion, church committee, or school teachers blog.

RM said...

Go ahead and tell us the good stuff from the family reunion, church, and dating. We'd love to hear them.

And then sign your real name which would make it all even better.

Anonymous said...

When that player in Pic 2 is done with tennis, he would make a great candidate for becoming a plumber apprentice......

Anonymous said...

Not related to tennis, but I witnessed this one....I was talking to a business acquaintance who was sitting on a stool holding crutches in his left hand. A colleague limped up (he having sustained a knee injury) and said to the man on the stool, "So, you've got a bum leg, too!" Only then did he notice the gentelman on the stool had no right leg.

Anonymous said...

Ref the posterior in the final picture....I try not to identify individuals based on their backside. On the other hand, perhaps this individual could be referred to as "The Kiester at Kiest". BTW, any male who can identify the individual in the pic might be spending a little too much time looking at men's backsides.