Saturday, January 23, 2010

New Oncourt Hero: Randall Edwards


Pictured above is the hero of the evening, Randall Edwards (on the right) and the infamous Gary Tolbert (of Georgia fame) on the left.

In the course of our lives as tennis officials we experience many valleys and many mountaintops--and that's what happened to me last night at SMU...

I was referee for the dual match between SMU and SFA and was watching Randall Edwards in the chair as he was supervising the warm up for the doubles match. An errant ball had gone by me in the stands so I got up to get it and stepped over the row in front of me (which was a mistake) and fell down on the ground with both legs hung in the seat mechanism! At the moment it hurt like heck and I couldn't get myself out of the situation--and then Randall sprang into action!!!

My rescuer jumped from his perch and came to lift me out of the dilema in which I so ingloriously found myself. My own son was in the stands but he was busy laughing and trying to figure out how to take a picture of me with his phone--but Randall was the most worthy official who was busy rescuing his referee.

My thanks and gratitude will always be with this official who went way above and beyond the call of duty... You are truly appreciated!

(BTW, there were no serious injuries other than a little bruised pride and a cut on my leg and a nice bruise.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just don't repeat that when you're coming down out of the pulpit for an altar call.

Anonymous said...

Did Ty get the picture, and if so, when will it be posted?

RM said...

Ty didn't get the picture because he was laughing so hard he couldn't get it to work. Therefore, he can remain a part of the family and get an inheritance when I die...