Tuesday, March 08, 2016

How To Sell Your Call



One of the most difficult things to do as an official is to learn how to "sell" your call or your overrules.  Since players, fans, and coaches will read your body language as well as your spoken words, its imperative that a good official learn the art of selling  their calls.

Over the years we have heard officials make calls with the following comments that quickly caused a reaction and a rebellion from everyone watching the match:

*  The ball might have been out so I'm staying with the call.
*  Most of the ball missed the line.
*  The teammates in the stands said the ball was good so I'm overruling the out call.
*  I think the ball was probably good.
*  I hope I made the right call.
*  I don't like your player so I'm overruling  his/her call.
*  Coach, you've been yelling at me the entire match so now I'm overruling your player.
*  Its cold and I'm freezing so don't ask me to overrule on the far sideline.
*  Its hot and I'm tired.
*  I remember your player and he cheated in his doubles match so I'm overruling his sideline call.
*  I don't like Russians so the ball is good.
*  I never overrule a blond female player.

Since we are being paid  to be professional and do a good job, we should always be looking for ways to improve our officiating skills.  Here are some hints about "selling" your calls:

*  Always speak firmly and clearly.
*  Do not yell at the player or coach.
*  Look at the player or coach when they are talking to you.
*  Do not turn away and ignore a coach or player.  They at least deserve to be heard.
*  Make your overrule quickly.
*  Do not put your head into your scorecard so quickly that you miss everything happening on the court.
*  Make eye contact with the player when you are overruling but don't stare.  If you stare them down you are going to have a mess in a hurry.
*  Don't get into a protracted discussion about why you made the overrule.
*  Don't brag about how many overrules you had in the match.  Everyone probably already knows it and they are trying to find a way to tell people that they don't know you.
*  Never, ever tell the player that you didn't see it.  You are paid to see it.

Players and coaches read your body language and listen carefully to your tone--do your best to make yourself the very best...

4 comments:

AR Hacked Off said...

Well the mark clearly shows it out!!

Anonymous said...


The limited verbiage and tone you use is the key...

One of the best ways to "simmer" a situation is to say - I saw the ball out (or in). This tells the player/coach that you are not saying they are wrong - but, this is how you saw it. They will say - "Well then you missed it" - OK - you could have - but, that is the right response - NOT that they are wrong.

BACO

FU%@ BAYLOR said...

I think we all used to be proactive and rule how we see, independent on how we felt about coaches or players. However, with Baylor Men being the buttheads they are, I think we are more inclined to ask their opponents to make sure they ask me us for a ruling, especially on close balls called out by the little players in GREEN, if you know what I mean.

Anonymous said...

I really like to listen to the anointed pro chair officials on how they sell their calls to the college players. makes you wonder what in the hell they think they are doing working a college match. Just sayin'