Sunday, October 19, 2014

What Happens When The Bee Strikes Home?


Benadryl Pen (available at any pharmacy)

"Be prepared" is one of the mottos of a good tennis official--and you never know when you will need it...

From a broken net strap to a good coin for the coin toss, we all know what we need to get going at the average tournament.  Its the unexpected that sometimes gets us...

The unexpected happened to me this past week in a UIL playoff match.  During the doubles, one of the boys was stung on the hand by an irate bee.  They called me to the court and the boy was busy trying to extract the stinger from his hand--all to no avail.  Finally, we found a Mother with a pair of tweezers in her purse and she quickly sprung to the rescue.  

Not to be outdone when the boy asked me if he was going to pass out or even die, I assured him that he would live but wasn't too sure about the other.  I asked him if he was allergic to bee stings and he said he didn't know since this was the first time he had ever been stung.  His coach looked at me with a somewhat perplexed look--and then my preparations became real!

A few years ago we had a female official get stung on the nose by an offended bee and someone had a Benadryl pen in their bag.  Quick action with the pen averted a lot of pain and suffering so I then went to the local pharmacy to purchase one for my officiating bag...

Little did I know that the unsuspecting Benadryl pen would be called into action--but the boy, his coach, and I were all glad it was there.

Note:  For those who might think that I treated the boy--I did not.  I told him and his coach that the pen was there for their use if they wanted it and they both agreed they did.  The coach took the pen and treated the boy after confirming that he wasn't allergic to Benadryl.

The pain quickly subsided and he went on to win both his singles and doubles matches.  Good day for the boy and the pen--but not so good for the bee.  It died...

No comments: