Sunday, October 26, 2014

An Offer He Couldn't Refuse--But He Did!



After a lot of years of being involved in tennis you tend to think you've just about seen everything--but then something happens and you quickly realize you haven't...

I was doing a men's ITA match today and was roving on 6 courts.  Made it kind of difficult to see everything but just as I was walking up to a  court Player A threw his racket down and then kicked it across most of the court.  As I was walking to the net post to assess a code violation, his coach said, "Give it to him."  So I did...

Just as I uttered the words "Code Violation", his opponent, Player B, said, "I don't receive the point and I refuse the code violation point penalty you are giving him."  I asked if he was serious and he said yes, so we ignored the code violation.

The only problem was that the score was tied 7-7 in the first set tiebreak when the infraction occurred.  In spite of his generosity, Player B subsequently lost the first set tiebreak.

Just when I think that's about the weirdest thing I've ever seen in collegiate tennis, the players move to a tiebreaker for the 3rd set.  Player B then receives a code violation from the official on the court (not me)--and then guess what, Player A refused the code violation.

Seems like chivalry is not dead in men's collegiate tennis--or there are two young men who are home tonight thinking about their levels of generosity.

Not sure I'll ever see this again in my lifetime but it sure was fun watching it happen today.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I don't receive the point", or "I don't deserve the point."?

RM said...

He didn't want to receive the penalty point. He didn't deserve it in his opinion and didn't want it.

Anonymous said...

Interesting, the player can refuse the benefit of the penalty, but is supposed to be subject to default....or is that no longer in the rules.....hmmm,

Anonymous said...

USTA REGULATIONS IV.D. (Point Penalty System) [p.125, 2014 FAC]

16. Player may not decline penalty. A player who is the beneficiary of a penalty imposed upon the opponent may not decline to accept it. A player who disobeys the instructions of an official in such a case is liable to being defaulted.