Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Underappreciated, Underpaid, And Well Prayed For

CHAD LOUP
Texas Section Staff Person in Charge of Complaints

After reading some of the comments from tournaments this past weekend and regularly hearing horror stories of parents and players on the junior circuit, it makes me appreciate CHAD LOUP (the USTA Texas Section staff member in charge of complaints) more than ever. There is certainly no amount of money that would make me want his job!

I had the privilege of serving on the Officials Grievance Committee for 6 years and during that time we dealt with incidents that I never thought possible. Many of the complaints were warrantless and simply a parent or player complaining about a line call or a footfault call--but there were some that were valid. I can well remember having to deal with an official who came to her site drunk as a skunk! What a great day that was...

Personally, I feel like there should be more severe penalties given out to help stop the abuses around the state but I will leave those decisions up to those in authority. I have heard of about 20 different offenses and problems just over this one weekend so I can't even begin to imagine what Chad has to deal with on a weekly basis.

I do know that we need to APPRECIATE Chad for the fine job he does. I have no idea of how much money he makes (nor do I want to), but whatever it is, I think he is UNDERPAID...

Now for the BIBLICAL INSIGHT... In the Bible when God told Solomon he could have anything that he wanted and he asked for "WISDOM", I now understand how valuable that was.

I do pray regularly for Chad and those in authority, and pray specifically that they have the WISDOM to deal with all the junk that happens in the tennis world.

Keep up the good work Chad!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chad is a jewel, in the mire of the USTA. He listens, thinks, and then responds. At the NJCAA Tournament, I rebuked him, for actions of others in the USTA hierarchy, and he agreed. So, I too, appreciate his presence, in the midst of those that despise we the lowly officials of "grass roots tennis", that provide 70% of the income of the USTA.

Anonymous said...

I definitely think he is the sharpest tack in the box.

ZOO GIRL said...

I agree Chad does a great job listening to all the whining and complaining when dealing with tournaments, tennis players, PARENTS coaches and officials.

However, I also know that Nancy Perkins at USTA Texas is a HUGE help to me. She is available and prompt in her responses and she knows her stuff about Adults and Seniors. I couldn't do my job as effectively without her valuable assistance!

I also have a good bit of interaction with Melissa Chambers & Paige Schumacher with Junior Competitive Tennis and they both are very knowledgeable and helpful.

I just want to make sure others get their kudos as well :-)