Monday, September 11, 2017

When Not To Hire...



One of the greatest decisions facing a coordinator or someone who hires tennis officials is the decision about whether or not to hire someone.  We have all gone through that agonizing feeling of knowing we hired someone that we never should have hired--and now we are paying the price for that decision.

The bottom line is that there are some people who should be tennis officials--and some people who definitely should not be.  Having the discernment to know who to hire (and who not to hire) is something that every coordinator needs.  There are some key considerations that will help you develop that discernment.

*  Always meet with them in a social context.  Eating out with someone will tell you more than any office interview.  Watch how they interact with others, how they eat, and how they treat the waitstaff. It will all fall into place when you learn to be discerning and watchful.

*  Ask them questions about their lives and values.  This will tell you more than their knowledge of the rules.

*  Check how they are dressed.  Don't want to go into a fashion expose but you know what I mean.  If they are dirty and stink, then don't hire them.

*  Check how they greet you and how they interact with you.  Their response to authority is critical in their becoming a good official.

* Share some specific examples of officiating situations and ask them what they would do.  It helps to put them on the spot because if they can't answer quickly and handle that, then they would never be able to handle a college coach.

Once you have gone through some basics of discerning the qualities of a prospect, then remember there are some people you should never hire (or at least be careful when you do so).



PEOPLE YOU SHOULD PROBABLY NEVER HIRE

*  Someone who says, "I played tennis all my life and know all the rules."  You and I both know what that means--they lied and know not the truth. 

*  Someone who says, "I have taught tennis so I know how to do all this stuff."  Run from this one...

*  Someone who says, "I'm bored as a housewife at home and I need a part-time job."  What a disaster this one has proved to be--over and over again!

*  Someone who says, "I am good at everything I do and I know I would excel at officiating."  There isn't a door big enough to let their ego into the room.  Run...

*  Someone who says, "I'm great at being in charge.  I can handle all those parents, players, and coaches.  They would soon find out who is boss."  If you think the Titanic sank in a hurry, you should see this one implode...

*  Someone who says, "I need a part time job and officiating seems to pay a lot."  This one is so deluded that you don't need to give him the time of day...

*  Someone who says, "I'm an alpha female and you need me to help keep you men in charge."  Need I explain this one?

*  Someone who says, "I played sports all my life and noone is going to give me trouble."  Hurry and introduce him to some coaches that we all know...

*  Someone who says, "I'm ready to start officiating now because I want to get paid right off the bat and I don't need any training since I already know all this stuff."  I've hired a couple of these and still kick myself for doing so.

*  Someone who says, "My wife plays league tennis so I'm ready to do this."  Ignorance is bliss...

*  Someone who says, "I play pickle ball and the two sports must be the same.  Officiating can't be that hard."  No words to explain this one.






No comments: