Thursday, October 17, 2013

Millard Countryman Passed Away Today--Another Warrior Gone Home


MILLARD COUNTRYMAN
"A Friend To Many"

Our hearts were saddened today with the news of the passing of Millard Countryman in Tyler, Texas.  Millard had suffered a stroke about four months ago and never recovered.

Millard was a man who had a true heart for tennis officiating.  He was the "King of Grass Roots Tennis" in my heart and mind as he has done hundreds of junior tournaments over the years in the Tyler area.  Millard was also active in collegiate officiating with Tyler Junior College and UT Tyler.  Not only did Millard work hours and hours as an official but he also gave his heart to training new officials.  Many officials in Texas today are there because of the training and encouragement of Millard Countryman.

I will forever be grateful to Millard for many things.  First, his friendship over the past 14 years has been one of my most treasured.  He always treated me as a son and that's something special when you are as old as I am.  He was forever a friend that I knew I could trust and depend on.  I always had a warm feeling when he would put his arm around me and say, "Son, just remember that I am the one who gave you your start in junior college tennis."

Second, he taught me about a work ethic as an official.  I have never known an official who worked harder and longer than Millard--and without complaining.  Two years ago at Junior College Nationals, Millard was there every morning at 7:15 a.m. and was there with me when we closed down every day.  He worked a full day every day in the hot sun and was a constant encourager to all the other officials on court.

I'm not totally sure about everything we are going to be doing in Heaven but I know this-- if there is a tennis court in Heaven, Millard will be at the net post.  He was truly a man I loved, appreciated, admired, and always hoped to emulate.

Millard--we will miss you!

2 comments:

RM said...

Here are the arrangements for Millard's funeral:

Visitation will be 6:00 - 7:30 tomorrow evening (Friday) at Stewart Funeral Home on the Old Jacksonville Highway in Tyler. The funeral will be at 1:30 Saturday at the funeral home.

Anonymous said...

I have such fond memories of Millard. He, and his wife Nancy, came to Georgetown fairly regularly in the 90's when he would referee tournaments. He was such a character and had a great sense of humor. I hadn't started officiating at that time......but was always impressed by how hard he worked....and how much he loved what he did. Millard just lived & breathed tennis. I just returned from his visitation.....the flower arrangement on his coffin had a tennis racquet & tennis balls incorporated into it. I had to chuckle (to myself)..... It was perfect. He will be missed.