Friday, May 28, 2010

A Great Word From On High...

One of the things I have learned over the years of having a blog is that everyone has an opinion about everything--but very few are willing to share them publicly with their names attached. There are pros and cons to that issue but let me say clearly and unapologetically, you will get far more done if you sign your name than if you don't...

I have ALWAYS found the people who work and serve in our Texas Section office to be hard-working and more than willing to help with anything that needs to be done. I have also found that if I am upfront and honest, they are always willing to discuss any pertinent issue. Folks, that's the way it should be done...

The staff person at the Texas Section office who is our liasion is Chad Loup (pictured above) and he is fantastic. I have never met anyone in leadership who is more capable and more concerned about fairness and doing what is right. Chad and I talk frequently (and disagree from time to time) but he's always there and available. (Not to mention his greatest attribute--he is a Texas Longhorn!) Chad responded to one of our recent posts and I thought his response was well worth highlighting, so here it is:

"Some strong opinions out there. Please, if someone has something that they would like to be put on the website, email me anytime. As the staff liaison of the Officials Committee, I can honestly say that the Competitive Department of USTA Texas spends a great deal of resources on our Texas Officials(read: time, money) As for problems with volunteers and chairpersons, the president of the section is a great person to contact regarding issues with Committee members. I encourage everyone to contact me with specific issues. If the needs of Texas officials are not being met, then I will correct that. Please elaborate on specific examples of the impotence and lack of leadership in the Section and I can take the issues to the Executive Director and the appropriate folks here at the office. Unless the claims of impotence and lack of leadership refer to me, in which case, call my boss. I do not think either Rubel or McAllister read this blog regularly, so unless you notify them, or ask me too personally, your opinions are going to be taken for what they are worth...an anonymous rant on a blog. Good luck making a difference with that. I will say that in 18 months in this position not a single person has called me (other than Randy) to discuss problems with our Officials programming. I challenge you to make a difference...maybe identifying yourself would be a good start. I can help you all enjoy your officiating experience, but you have to allow me to help. I will not be reading the anonymous comments after this post. However, please bring your concerns to me personally. If I dont have one voicemail or email from you folks, I will be forced to do what you are claiming is being done all ready.....nothing. Thanks for your support of this great game that we love so much. Our number one goal is to grow the game and we need the support of our officials to do just that."

I appreciate having a young man like Chad helping us out. Perhaps you should all take a moment to write him a note of appreciation...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

"18 months reading the blog".??
Where the heck was this email 18 months ago? or 12 months ago? Or 6 months ago? Who is this guy? What does he do? Does he have a function important to officials in the state of Texas? "Our liasion"? Whose liasion? The official's Committee? Bruce Sampley's? What does this guy have to do with Texas based offcials? The answer is "obviously nothing", or he would have taken some action to improve commnunication between the section and its umpires/referees in the 18 months he's been reading the blog and communicating so well with you, Randy.

RM said...

Chad works at the Texas Section office and he has been involved with the Texas officials since he came on staff. Its not his duty to keep officials informed--that duty belongs to the Sectional Chairman and the Officials Committee. Chad deals with budget issues and player and officials' complaints. He actually is the go-between for the officials with the Section office.

Anonymous said...

Top response is a typical idiotic rant.

I'll put it to you this way, if you didn't know who Chad was or his position, then YOU my friend are the idiot. Stop all of the conspiracy bs.

Chad has done plenty and is willing to speak with anyone. If you have a problem, send him an e-mail or pick up the phone, Mr. Anonymous.

Ray said...

Well put Chad.

Anonymous said...

I think the anonymous comments that referred to the Texas Section leadership as being impotent were way out of line . . . actually more of a personal attack. Very sad.

Now, having said that, I think it is great that we are finally hearing something from Austin. How sad that it took a totally out of line personal attack to do this, however. But apparently that is what it took!

Maybe. . . just maybe . . . the lines of communication - yes, they need to be two-way - are finally going to open up. Chad seems like someone who genuinely wants to do the right thing.

I hope that time proves this to be right.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, that wasn't Chad, I'm Chad's mother. No seriously, Chad is doing a great job.

The point is, ranting on a random blog (sorry, RM) is not how you get Austin's attention. Pick up the phone or drop an e-mail. The people is the office are actually human and do care if you have a problem. They will never know if you do not tell them.

RM said...

Good to know that Chad's mother reads the blog...

Posting on a blog is lots of fun and does indeed create attention. Those in Austin are regular readers of our blog whether they will admit it publicly or not.

I do however believe the BEST way is to always call them personally and talk to them. They are all real friendly and will always take your calls. But, don't quit posting on the blog...