Saturday, September 19, 2009

Federer Gets Fined! What Are Your Thoughts?


It seems that fines are the order of the day at the US Open in 2009. Serena Williams tops the list with a $10,000 fine but Roger Federer was fined for using an audible obscenity in his confrontation with chair umpire, Jake Garner.

Seems that Jake allowed del Potro an inordinate amount of time to request a review and Federer confronted Garner. At that point, Garner motioned Federer to be quiet and Federer responded with an obscenity and informed him that he would talk when he wanted to. The obscenity was "shit".

I am just wondering about your feelings on this issue...

4 comments:

Wally said...

Since this incident happened on a changeover and was a 'conversation' between Federer and the chair, I feel like the 'mike' was an intrusion on this conversation. The chair didn't deem it warranted a code, so why does the ITF jump in after the fact?
This came about because of all the fuss made over Serena's fine the day before.
Another day, another match, chances the same thing happens and no 'mike' to pick it up. This is a nothing.
As we all know, there are lots of 'conversations' between players and the chair for a variety of reasons, this fine might destroy some of that give and take. Once players lose confidence in the officials (chair or linesmen), match demeanor changes and then all kind of unpleasant things can happen.

Bernie West said...

Feder and Serena both deserved their code violations. Serena had a heart attack, as did I, whenthe word foot fault was uttered twice. Rules are not enforced on national television. I get embarassed when my friends ask me WHY NOT. Brian Early taught me over twenty years ago how to be an official, maybe he better start again in New York.

Slim Jim said...

So Bernie I'm confused. Would you NOT have called the foot fault? This is what I'm gathering from your cryptic response.

Boughrad said...

Did Federer get fined for destroying his racket during the US Olympus Series? I was watching the match and I didn't remember the chair umpire coding him. He probably wasn't watching at the time. We all know how that goes.