Thursday, February 18, 2010

Viewing The World Through Rose Colored Glasses

I was recently asked why I had the blog and why did I tackle controversial issues--and my response is:

* I blog because I enjoy it.
* I tackle controversial issues because it brings about dialogue and discussion--which I think are good things.
* I do both things because I hope people enjoy them and they bring about some much-needed changes.

There are times I could just walk away from issues that face officials but ignoring something is not always a valid response. On the issue of lunches for officials, I could easily ignore that subject since all my tournament directors provide meals for us and always will--but there are a lot of officials out there who are being penalized by tournaments that are violating policies that have been in effect for over 20 years.

It would also be easy to walk away from the controversy over "undercover officials" but I think that would be an abdication of responsibility since it affects ALL of us as officials.

I will always blog about fun things, satirical things, happy things, sad things, controversial things, helpful things--because its fun and I hope people enjoy it...

BUT........

Let me reaffirm upfront and very openly that I VIEW THE WORLD THROUGH ROSE COLORED GLASSES and those glasses are covered by my allegiance to the following:

1. The Lord God in Heaven.
2. My kids and family.
3. OFFICIALS.

If I tend to be supportive of officials on every hand--so be it. It ain't gonna change... If you are anti-official or think all officials are inept, you might want to find another blog to read.

OFFICIALS--we love you all and think you are the best! Texas officiating stands heads above the rest of the country. We may have our warts and wrinkles, but we are still the best!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1. The Lord God in Heaven.
2. My kids and family.
3. OFFICIALS.

Thanks for your blog...you have great pictures and sometime interesting observations... just do us all a favor and get your facts straight before you bust someone chops on your open forum - Thanks again - one of the OFFICIALS!

RM said...

I tend to think my facts are straight but needed a tad more elaboration.

Remember that the term "undercover officials" came from a Junior Tennis Council member and not from me.

I might like the term and think it is valid but read the most recent post and it will elaborate on their new name.