Monday, September 28, 2015

An Offer Too Good To Refuse



After a plane ride home in the bad weather and an hour long wait for my luggage, its good to be back home from the USTA Texas Sectionals Tournament in glorious Beaumont, Texas.  Our Dallas team had a great run and finished second to the Houston team.  Good luck to the Houston guys when they get to nationals.

After every tournament you can look back and enjoy some of the SPECIAL MOMENTS that you have experienced.  I had a couple that I thought might bring a little humor into our reader's lives...

In our semi-final match with the Beaumont team, we were up 6-1, and 4-1.  The Beaumont team obviously didn't like each other and you could tell there was much internal stress in their doubles relationship.  When the Beaumont player prepared to serve, he asked me the score and I said, "We're up 6-1, and 4-1."  He smiled and said, "Would you settle for 5-0?'  After this OFFER THAT WAS TOO GOOD TO REFUSE, I said "For sure!"  As he prepared to serve he called out the score:  love-five and then proceeded to hit four serves into the fence.  Game, set, and match...

After the match was over, he said, "I couldn't wait to get away from this stupid doubles partner of mine."  Perhaps there is a divorce on the horizon...

The second event was after we had defeated our opponents from Austin in the semi-finals.  We had defeated them 6-1, 6-0 and as I offered my hand to shake hands with one of the Austin players, he just slapped it away and walked off.  I asked his partner what was wrong with him, he said, "He's just mad that you are a referee and are playing in the tournament."  Not sure how he found out I was a referee but I guess some people think we're supposed to know all the rules of tennis but never play the game ourselves...

So much for an eventful weekend in Beaumont, Texas...

No comments: