Saturday, July 05, 2014

Equal Punishment For Equal Participation?



On an average day in an average Texas public school if you are caught fighting, both participants are suspended--regardless of who initiated the fight.  Doesn't seem to be the case at Texas Tech.  Check out the story below...


Texas Tech women’s basketball player Amber Battle has been suspended from competition for the entire month of November after her role in a fight Saturday at the school’s student recreation center, athletic director Kirby Hocutt and women’s basketball coach Candi Whitaker announced Friday morning in a news release.
Battle admitted to initiating first contact in a fight during a pick-up basketball game last week with incoming Texas Tech football player Nigel Bethel II.
Bethel was dismissed from the team Sunday after reportedly punching Battle in the face and forcing the Lady Raider to have surgery.
“During a pickup basketball game on June 28, I was involved in an incident with Texas Tech football player Nigel Bethel,” Battle said in a statement.  “I initiated the first contact and I take full responsibility for my actions.  I want to take this time to apologize to Nigel, the Texas Tech community, my teammates, coaches and fans.  Nothing I can say can truly repair the harm I have already caused.  I did not represent the Double T like I am supposed to and I promise to hold myself to a higher standard from here on.”
The news release states “Texas Tech Athletics does not tolerate violence against women.”

Their view is abundantly clear but the question still remains:  Do they tolerate violence against men or just punish it differently?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My guess is that She is more important to her team that he was to his. Lesson to learn "Don't pull shit if you aren't the start of the team."