Tuesday, January 23, 2018

For Pete's Sake--Proper Pronunciation and Enunciation Are Still In Vogue!



After watching last night's great match between Kyle Edmund and Gregor Dimitrov I just have to say something...  Who in the world taught that chair official how to talk?  I have never heard such a misuse of the English language with pronunciation that would make a sailor blush.  After listening time and time to, "Thutee fotee" pronounced through a nasal cavity I am wondering why they would ever think we enjoy hearing that.

I have spent 52 years of my life in public speaking on television, radio, podcasts, and in the pulpits of churches and I guarantee you that proper pronunciation is always correct and proper.  Not in my weakest moment would I ever think of destroying the English language like that.  Not only is it just wrong, it is an affront to the listeners to think they like hearing something like that. 

Heads up folks, its time to get on board with proper pronunciation and enunciation of the English language--and that means in an officials' chair at any tennis match on this planet.  I would be embarrassed to talk like that and so should they be.

2 comments:

Gandalf said...

Was it an exercise in Ebonics? I didn't watch the mat h.

Phreddy Phudd said...

I've noticed some of our English chair umpires trying to emulate the same thing. Maybe it's the new way to speak to ensure diversity among the chair umpires.