Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Legend & Lore Of The Ohio State Buckeye

The logo of the university claiming the "buckeyes."


Picture of two actual buckeyes--the source of all good luck!

There are times in our lives when we encounter situations in which we learn valuable life lessons--and that happened for me this weekend at the ITA tournament in Waco...

We had a great time with the men's tournament and saw some really good tennis but I learned the most from a younger (that means not as old as I) official who shared the legend of the Ohio State Buckeye...

Since I did not actually know what a "buckeye" was, I guess I was wide open to his wisdom. Seems that the "buckeye" is actually a nut off of a tree and is the state tree of Ohio. The "eyes" on the nuts are actually supposed to be the eyes of a buck hence they arrive at the name "buckeye."

It is also symbolic of a Big 10 university called Ohio State University but I will leave that wisdom for a later post.

This younger official imparted this wisdom and he gifted me with a set of buckeyes (pictured above) and said the stories goes thusly,

"If you one wishes to have good luck, then one should rub his nuts."

I will leave all applications of this proverb to your own imagination... but thanks to the younger one for his impartation of wisdom and knowlege.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The nuts look a little shriveled?

Anonymous said...

Playing with your nuts must of worked while you where WHACO – you may have saved the conference with your lucky nuts! Not really sure why the other schools wanted A&M to stay – there are other great schools… WATCH OUT – I am betting on BYU to jump in….

BACO

Wally said...

Those look kinda like Calf Frys. Has anyone seen Bevo limping around lately?

RM said...

Bevo had his taken out years ago so they might actually be his...

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the week-end, surrounded by quite a few nuts...